Quinta das Alvaianas, Vinho Verde DOC Alvarinho, pure organic white wine, 2016
All clear: This Quinta das Alvaianas Vinho Verde is not a lemonade-like drink, I promise! It is a white wine with class that you should enjoy with fish and seafood.
- Color: Yellow straw color
- Nose:Fruity fragranc with dominance of stone fruits and tropical fruits, and slight notes of floral aromas
- Palate:Its aromatic fragrance is confirmed in the mouth. Full-bodied wine, persistent and balanced, presenting mineral notes. It is fine and elegant. Its harmony between acidity is not reached with a high cointent of residual sugar, as it only has 1.5 g/l, but with its rich and full body.
- Recommendation: serve it with 11 to 12° C and let it breathe a few minutes. It is the perfect wine for Seafood and fish dishes, but it is strong enough to to with even dark meat.
- Grape variety: Alvarinho
- Analysis: Alcoholic degree 13.5 % vol., total acidity 7,90 g/L, Total sugar1.5 g/L
- Allergenes: Contains Sulphites
- Organic wine certified by PT-BIO-02 Agricultura Portugal
Organic wine processing
Grapes are harvested by hand and put into 25 kg cases. Then the grapes are slowly pressed at 0,8 bar. The must is kept for 24 to 36 hours at a low temperature of 16º C to let it clear itself. The takes place at 16 to 20° C. After it has finished, the wine rests for one month in stainless steel tanks in which the batônnage is done once a week. Then the wine rests for two month (December and January) at only 5°C before it is bottled in February.
Some reasons for the high quality of this organic white wine or why it cost a little more:
1. The Alvarinho variety is little productive and has a very low yield.
2. At the Quinta das Alvaianas 900 kg Grapes are necessary to obtain 500 l of grape juice. Most varieties have bigger berries with thinner skins and deliver 500 l grape juice out of 750 kg grapes.
3. The green wine region of Galicia is subject to climatic conditions conducive to the development of pests which are most difficult to avoid and combat in biological regime by which the average annual production of the Alvarinho caste tends to be even lower in the biological regime than in non-biological.
4. The production of Quinta das Alvaianas is small which does not permit economies of scale, neither in the vineyard nor in the wine cellar
For information and impression of Quinta das Alvaianas