The medieval Château La Salagre (Château Bouhans) owes its name to a turbulent story between a feudal lord and his vassal. According to legend, the Lord of Montcuq was betrayed by one of his vassals during the English Wars. In retaliation, the latter's lands were covered with salt and his mansion was razed to the ground.
The name has remained to this day, while the salt has disappeared and washed out. Today, this highly anecdotal story symbolizes the strength of this terroir. The disappearance of salt in these areas has allowed the expression of the Merlot, Cabernet-Sauvignon, Sauvignon and Sémillon grape varieties and the complexity of the resulting cuvées.
or marketing reasons, the winery was given a second name, namely Château Bouhans, as is often the case. When Château Bouhans (Château La Salage) embarked on the introduction of organic viticulture in 1999, it was one of the first wineries in the Bergerac region to embark on this adventure. Château Bouhans at a glance Archaeological remains confirm the existence of vineyards in the Dordogne Valley since the Gallo-Roman period. The clay-limestone soils studded with white stones make this terroir, which combines the freshness of clay and the filtering properties of limestone, a terroir perfect for Merlot.
Château Bouhans at a glance
Archaeological remains confirm the existence of vineyards in the Dordogne Valley since the Gallo-Roman period. The clay-limestone soils studded with white stones make this terroir the freshness of clay and the filter properties of limestone, to create a terroir that is perfect for Merlot.
- Vine-growing area: 31 hectares
- Vineyard soil: Clay -Limestone
- Controlled designation of origin: Bergerac AOP
- Grape varieties:85% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc, 20% Muscadelle, 60% Sémillon.
- Planting density: 4,000 vines/hectare
- Vinification: Maceration and fermentation at controlled temperature,
- Maturation of the red wines: 12 to 18 months in stainless steel tanks
- Maturation of the white wines: 4-6 months in stainless steel tanks
- Annual production: 180,000 bottles of organic red wines, 60,000 bottles of organic white wines
- Organic wine certified: FR 01
- Biodynamic wine certified: Demeter